En gros ce qui se passe dans ma petite vie. Pas super passionnant, mais si vous voulez vous plaindre, dites le à Ptit Nico, c'est lui qui m'a dit que ce serait bien un blog quand je serai en Ecosse... ;-)

lundi 31 juillet 2006

See Grace Fly Review

Hello everybody! OK, hello you lonely traveler that got lost in here!

Today's post will only consist of a little review of the film... But who knows? When i begin talking, i might not be able to stop. I'm sure you've already noticed!
I think the film is worth watching, at least once. I'm not too keen on such films because, usually, i get very depressed after watching them even though they happen to have a happy ending. The feel-good factor, our beloved Mr Griffiths talked about, does not unfortunately reach me...

Now, let's begin the review! The actors are just great. Paul is excellent, but i didn't get quite interested in his character though... Gina Chiarelli gave such a great performance that anyone else's was forgotten. She gave such truth to the character, i was stunned. I could easily sympathise with Grace and understand her a little. It was also good to see known faces too; Benjamin Ratner who you might have seen in SG1 and recently in The Dead Zone (episode 6, season 5 "Lotto Fever"), and also Megan Leitch who played Fox Mulder's sister in The X-Files... Strangely enough, the character that i got the most interested in was Father James, played by Tom Scholte. Don't ask me why! I don't even know myself! But he did a great job too!

After all the actor-thing, let's move on to the story in general. I got a little lost in it, surely because i have no understanding of religious matter. I've had a religious education to please my parents, obviously! But as far as i'm concerned, God is only a character someone make up a long time ago. The thing is i cannot believe in a god that would let wars happen, that would accept evil to reign and innocent children to get hurt (I speak from experience here, but no, i won't tell a thing!). The thing that bothers me most about religion and that omnipotent and benevolent god is that if he was that good, why would his creatures (as we humans are usually called) be that nasty. Really! If god make man according to his image, then maybe we should reconsider his kindness, don't you think?

Anyway, I won't write an encyclopedia about that, so i'll go back to the subject of this post. The religious aspect of the story didn't reach me but what really fascinated me was the relationship between Grace and her brother Dominic. The relationship is very complex and at the same time very simple. It has a love-and-protect pattern. Grace protected Dominic as a child and now, it's his turn to protect her. Dominic eventually gets to share the belief of his sister and they are reunited. I think this is the real interest of the movie.

Sibling relationships are always conflicting but what matters is that when matters get out of control and threaten one, the other flies to help. I personally always had difficulties understanding my little sister. But what i can tell and which is well depicted here, is that extreme crises bind siblings together. There are scenes the use of which is still a mystery to me but the film really moved me when nearing the end, the misunderstandings of the two characters get solved.

Schizophrenia is treated seriously and the performance of Gina Chiarelli is pure gold. "Madness" is the worst fear I have and always had. The thing is some scenes reminded me painfully of periods in my life where help was needed but never found. Hopefully, things are improving and fears are sloxly going away. It's useful nevertheless to remember... The film is very helpful in the way it has to give humanity to the disease.

It's a pity such a good film hasn't reached audience enough to have it released in DVD. Still hope it will, in the end.

I give you the link to the official website. Hope you'll enjoy the flight! http://www.seegracefly.com/index2.html